Thursday, January 21, 2010

Kites



This is an early quilt I did - but still one of my favorites.  I love the all warm colors together.  I saw an Atkinsons Design pattern that used a block layout like this (I think the original pattern used pin wheel triangles in the center of each window) - instead of buying the pattern, I used AutoCAD to lay it out and figure out the fabric yards I would need.  I also made a KITE template using AutoCAD.  I cut all the colors and whites into the shape of the kites, sewed them together, and then trimmed the white ends so my blocks were square.

I wanted to use white blocks as the solid blocks in between the "kite" blocks - so I chose a white/white pattern. Since it was a first quilt, I did not pay attention that the pattern was directional.  I ended up with some of the solid blocks facing one way and others facing another.  It was all sewn together before I realized it.  Instead of fixing it - I left it, even though I was very disappointed.  You really can't tell (unless you analyze very closely) and I chalk it up to another quilt lesson learned by experience.

This quilt was quilted by a relative of Shari Fishers.

No comments: